Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Why Did You Write Your Book?

I'm reading, APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur - How to Publish a Book by Guy Kawasaki and Shawn Welch, and chapter one throws out a doozy of a question. "Why should anyone give a shiitake about your book?"

I have an answer. 

I just don't share it. 

Even now my heart thumps. Hook it to a sub-woofer and the windows would rattle. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM.

I began writing Strong Enough to get the babbling out of my head. After the first disastrous draft, I set it aside without an ending and returned to observing.

Until I found a cause. Something lacking within story.

A voice.

For women.

Who choose abortion.

Over 50 million abortions have happened since Roe vs. Wade but in most movies or novels she keeps the baby. 

Abortion is a topic with T-n-T strapped to its chest. Some want to fist-pump it. Others want to abolish it. While in the vast middle, millions of women sit before TVs or books and wonder, "Am I alone?"

Whitney walks in these women's shoes. She tells their private story that is neither left nor right. She holds their hand and tells them, "I understand."





And now for a song. Hat-tip to author Suanne Bierman Laqueur for this special gem and its fabulous place in High Fidelity. 
DJ Whit approves.
Just a taste of "Dry the Rain" by the Beta Band