Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Never Ending Beginning

Embedded in my ear canal is a pep-talk. My editor sings, "Just keep writing. Just keep writing." (I'm amused visualizing her as Dory from Nemo.) 

I prefer action to twiddling my thumbs and sticking out my bottom lip, but when it feels like I'm bailing out a boat with a hole, I want to sit down and pout. Am I on the right path? Is this any good? 

Everyone knows when chasing a dream it's hard to witness the moment it transforms from inspiration to reality. And yet reading the joyous posts of colleagues, I find myself wondering if I'll ever say, "That's when it happened."

Right now, I can look back and tabulate former goals (and the obstacles that jumped in the way), but those examples are finished. And I'm still at the beginning.  

So I'm reaching into my bag of sayings and hanging this one over my desk:

Write for the sake of writing

If the point of writing is anything else, I won't let loose and make magic. Expectations are the holes preventing inspiration from carrying me forward.

I write because I love it. I must accept my pace, my working style, and not be distracted by the success of others. I'll celebrate with them and remember I'm writing because I love to tell stories. Everything else is bonus.