Friday, August 16, 2013

Animators Dig Rigs

You know that rock wall? I'm somewhere high up deep-breathing through my fear of heights, waiting for my husband to get his ass on the mountain face. He's volunteering to be the belay slave.

(NO, this is not another 50 Shades of OMG MOVE ON ALREADY. 

Rock. Climbing. 
 Back to post.)


I'm not on my creative journey alone. I'm keeping company with a digital animator. It's eerie how similar our disciplines really are. In fact, we offer genuine empathy sharpened by different approaches. We're a freakin' TEAM.

J's my anchor, my partner, and he's climbing as well. He totally comprehends that we have to invest in ourselves. He struggles with fear of failure. We're yin and yang. And it's time for him to pick one of his many bolts.

He gets a good start but always reppels back down and runs through the checklist one more time. He anchors me while I ascend, encouraging me while never committing to a path. Here's his analysis:

I feel like I may be biting off more than I can chew...like maybe my skillset isn't as good as my head thinks it is. I dunno.
The only reason I mention Zbrush is that I know it has a steep learning curve and I know it will be instrumental in modeling workflow.
That software? That's another bolt he wants to place before he's convinced the path will hold his weight.

I have a dilemma. I said yes to Z Brush but only after he produces some videos, scraps skin on the rocks. Another opportunity has developed, though. And I see its value. J wants to teach and he's developing curriculum, examples, and marketing. He's found a guinea pig to conduct bizarre experiments with. I'm yelling, "get out of the lab!" I'm pushing and punching and yelling, "PERFORM!"

Once again, he's asked to jump straight to Z Brush. So I asked for time to get out of my head and into my gut. Fact is, he may not have a linear path up the mountain. He may zigzag like a deranged monkey. 

Who am I to hold him back? It's not my damn journey!